Speed=Crash

We're enjoying the quiet evening unwinding after dinner with Master 3 down for the night when the peace is ravaged by tyres screeching followed by a loud bang of metal scraping and more screeching until it comes to a stop. It was too close to my front yard this time I thought our car was caught up in the heavy metal band out there. We run out to check and within seconds people had swarmed around the broken up sedan that had come to rest on the road partition. Our car was in one piece but the pieces of the broken car were all over the road and some were not far from the front parking lot! Just when I thought I couldn't take anymore of this we noticed among the debris was a teddy bear! A freakin' teddy bear! Did that mean there was a kid in the car? Or did that mean the car owners had kids. I convinced myself it was the latter as I walked back to my house and left the side show to half the town that were now parked all over to have a look! I'm not sure how people have not gathered that Speeding=Crash.

I don't get that. So the fact is we moved into this house 11 months ago and before our first two weeks was up there was a crash out front. We thought what the heck. And then another two weeks and another crash! I thought wtf? It quickly turned out that we were living on death road thank you big. After the head ache of moving we couldn't be arsed to move again. So for awhile(probably cos I was away) there were no accidents until that big one last week. And two days ago I noticed a car bumper on the road from yet another victim of speeding. We realise now there is a curve out front however if you drive within the speed limit of 80kph you're fine but more than that and with lots of other cars around you you're most likely going to hug the lamp post in these cases break a lamp post. These ones are flimsy and in the middle of the road partition. The lamp posts are probably flimsy so they're easily replaced and I kid you not, it takes them about a week before another one is in place.

Another thing they do here is, they clear the scene of the accident within minutes of it happening. We'd see the Indian labourers out there sweeping up the broken glass after the car had been taken away. I wonder if it's better if they left these broken cars on the roadside a while longer just as a warning to others? I mean after a bad accident we wake up the next morning and it's like nothing happened!

This country has a very high death rate due to road accidents. It's now normal to see accidents all over this city. When I went to pick up my son last week there was a two car crash in a 50kph turn-off!! I went to pick up my son from nursery yesterday and was held up in traffic as there was a dingdong on the main highway! Thank goodness for side roads I managed to get off the highway and take the slip road there. According to studies and statistics done here it's speed that contributes to the most accidents here.

P.S after I published this entry I hear noise in the front, I look out the window and it's the workers replacing the post that was knocked down a few days ago, I guess for the next sucker to use as a target.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samaga Pe'a

Fagu'u / Samoan oil

Jebel Sifa beauty